Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Five Reasons to See "Theory of Everything" This Season.


1. It is a raw, emotional, and triumphant love story.
The Theory of Everything explores the intensely supportive and remarkable love story of Stephen and Jane Hawking, the famed Cambridge physicist and his first wife. It explores the the romantic high points and devastating low points of their other worldly love. Many know Stephen Hawking, the professor, but what came as a surprise to me was this incredibly strong and determined women who made Hawking’s world a possibility. I had not heard anything about Jane until I saw the movie, and afterwards I had this insatiable desire to fly to Cambridge and meet her personally. The movie may not follow their relationship to a chronologically tee, like is depicted in Jane’s memoir Travelling to Infinity: My Life with Stephen, but it captures the raw emotion and strong desire of two brilliant people and their passion for life and each other.

2. Eddie Redmayne and Felicity Jones give performances of a lifetime.
I am certain every major newspaper, online news source, and anything that can print words for people to read are raving as much as I am about the performances that Redmayne and Jones fulfill. There are no other words to describe it except “embodiment.” From Jane’s sturdy and quiet demeanor to the chronicled deterioration of one of the world’s most brilliant minds, I was swept into the Hawkings’ world for 2 hours, and left feeling like I had made two new friends. Their sheer embodiment led me on a roller coaster of emotions from happiness to love to disappointment to joy to anger to frustration to the utmost sadness and longing. They very much deserve every award they are nominated for in this upcoming season.

3. Director James Marsh took it and owned it.
Not only did he cast two of the best leads, he beautifully wove together a magical love story that made most people in relationships question their love. Marsh’s use of vibrant, yet different color palettes along with the theme of circles throughout the film make my heart leap with joy. It is so aesthetically pleasing that you almost want to weep the entire time at the pure beauty of it. Though I have not had the opportunity to see anything else he has directed, I can only expect that the themes will wrap up just as nicely as in Theory. By far my favorite thing is his use of a Super 8 camera to capture what are quaint and delightful family moments shared by the Hawkings’. They weave in and out of the film, connecting the past with the present, the Hawkings with the universe. It is beyond lovely.

4. Johann Johannsson’s score though…
Almost like Marsh’s use of the Super 8, Johannson’s score captures the spirited highs and painful lows of the Hawkings’ life together and tells their story through strong, uplifting strings and melancholy piano riffs. The music starts off cheery, bright to depict the feverishly intelligent and still healthy young Stephen Hawking, but as the music moves throughout the film we get slower, deeper tones to show the deterioration Stephen’s health as well as their marriage. The score is stunning and rightly captures these two incredible people and their heartwarming story.

5. Not your typical Romance film.
Though I keep ranting and raving about how romantically enlightening this tale is, it is in no way your typical romance. As we all know now, Jane and Stephen are no longer married. They did stay together for 26 years, but alas their marriage crumbled under the weight of fame and a desire for something more. Both remarried, Stephen to his nurse Elaine Mason (later divorced) and Jane to choir director Jonathan Hellyer Jones. At first thought this was incredibly heartbreaking to me. I wanted these two individuals to be triumphant in all aspects of life. But that was me fictionalizing two very real people. I think the lines that hit me the hardest where when Jones’ said, “I have loved you. I did my best,” because it slapped me back to reality. These characters are real people, with real challenges and real emotions. I can’t put them into my neat box and hope they stay together for romance sake. This movie showed us real people and how they tackle tough issues. It was refreshing, heartwarming, and devastating all at once, but above all it was a satisfying journey into the mind’s of two phenomenally “out-of-this-world” people.

The Theory of Everything is playing now in the U.S., click here for trailer.

No comments:

Post a Comment