Monday, February 23, 2015

Academy Award Winning Actor....Eddie Redmayne!


Three months ago, a friend and I walked into our busy neighborhood theatre on a foggy Saturday night to witness a film that would change my life. As I watched The Theory of Everything, I cried with profound sadness, but also with pure joy. The story of Jane and Stephen Hawking was intriguing, touching, and heartbreakingly real. As tears ran down my face and breath was taken from my lungs, I took in two astonishing performances that made my heart swell with emotion that nearly caused it to burst.

I left the theatre, my mind clouded and occupied by what I had just seen, fascinated by the story of Jane and Stephen Hawking and distracted by the visceral performances that had graced the screen. Recognizing Eddie Redmayne and Felicity Jones from other independent films, I was taken aback by the tenacity and ferociousness that these two people had while fulfilling such career altering roles. There are no words to describe their performances other than embodiment. I would go on to see the film twice more in theaters, trying desperately to have my friends see the genius that I had seen.

For three months now I have been on a quest to find a performance quite as moving as Redmayne’s, and tonight solidified why I had not. Eddie Redmayne accepted his Oscar with the same happiness and passion that he emitted while playing Stephen Hawking. His beaming smile, shaky hands, and eloquent words poured out to the billions watching The Academy Awards and the euphoria he must have felt resonates with me while I type this.

Many of my friends over the past couple of months have listened to me drone on about the talent that is Eddie Redmayne. They have put up with endless Facebook and Tumblr posts and countless tweets about my love for Redmayne and his astonishing performance. And his win tonight only shows that everything I have said is true. He is a rare talent. When you watch him on screen you can truly feel his drive and his deep appreciation for his craft. The man is a gifted actor that brings so much life to any role he plays and he should be recognized for that. That is what acting is all about.

Many may think I am insane. Maybe I am, but I cannot help but be beaming with delight. Congratulations Eddie, you have inspired and empowered many and to know that you will continue to stun the world with your charming brilliance is a gift to all. Cheers.


No comments:

Post a Comment