Sunday, February 1, 2015

And the Best Dressed Goes To...My Fave (and not so favorite looks) from the SAG Awards 2015

It has been a week since actors came together to celebrate their craft and each other for the Screen Actors Guild Awards. The evening was star studded and filled with gorgeous gowns and fitted tuxedos. Some stars really outdid themselves, while other’s struggled to hit the mark. Here are my picks for Best/Worst Dressed last Sunday.

My Star Stunners:


Keira Knightley
This women hit the nail on the head after her disastrous “porcelain doll” look from the Golden Globes earlier this year. She by far was my favorite dressed for the evening, and even though she didn’t take away an award for her portrayal of Joan Clarke (which is phenomenal by the way), she for sure hit the red carpet turning heads in her plum lace covered gown by Erdem. She looked absolutely stunning in the flowy gown, perfect for the mom-to-be.


Lupita N’Yongo
Anything Lupita wears is breathtaking, and she did it again with this gorgeous floral-patterned gown with bold black stripes from Elie Saab. Some could argue that it was too loud, but I thought this was exactly the statement piece I love to see Lupita wear. She herself is quiet, but so eloquent and extraordinary that it was like this dress was made just for her.


Julia Roberts
Combined with her million watt smile and signature red locks, her simple black pantsuit from Givenchy was all she needed to impress the crowd. Elegant and poised, Julia sure knows how to win the crowd and she doesn’t need bold statement pieces to do so. Her pantsuit reminded me what a classic Hollywood legend she has become and I appreciate her keeping it simple, letting just her talent shine.


Reese Witherspoon
Reese has been rocking the white this award season and I have no complaints about it. Wearing a form fitting, one-shouldered dress from Giorgio Armani, Reese paired her SAG outfit with some statement red lips and a simple pulled back hairdo. She looked as if she herself just went through a life-changing journey, like her character Cheryl Strayed in Wild, in less of a “sweetheart look” and more of a “I’m a grown women look.” Either way, I love this more grown up version of Reese.


Felicity Jones
Springing onto the red carpet this year rocking some pretty fantastic ensembles, Felicity Jones stunned in a pastel pink off-the shoulder crossover gown from Balenciaga last Sunday. Felicity has splashed onto the Hollywood scene after her breathtaking performance as Jane Wilde in The Theory of Everything. Always eloquent, Felicity stayed sophisticated in her choice for the evening, and even though it didn’t turn heads, it certainly caught my attention.

The Maybe Next Timers…:


Rosamund Pike
After her captivating performance in Gone Girl, I have been slightly disappointed in this women’s choice of outfits on the red carpet. Wearing white to both the Golden Globes and Critics Choice Awards, Rosamund went for a complete opposite look in a black frumpy, moo-moo like dress by Christian Dior. The dress looked heavy and too hot to be wearing on the Hollywood Red Carpet. I wanted to get the girl a fan.


Uzo Aduba
I have never been a fan of yellow on anyone, and even though I think Uzo could have pulled off this statement better than others, I still was not a fan. Made of an odd mesh material, the dress from Angel Sanchez just was a huge turn off for me. Though I am extremely happy for her win, I do hope in the future she will stick to something a little less…yellow.


Julianne Moore
Ask anyone, I think Julianne Moore is a showstopper in anything she does, but her green sparkly dressed pair with a fur jacket from Givenchy Haute Couture made me feel like a mermaid sprung itself out of the ocean to find a green bear. Green and red-heads is usually a winning combo, but the tank straps are what turned me away from the gown (plus the fur). Better luck at the Oscars.


Emma Stone
I am usually applauding Emma Stone for bold statement choices not only in life, and choice of words (she literally dropped the F-Bomb where she heard she was nominated for an Oscar), but in outfit ensembles. Wearing a black blazer with a sheer bottom from Dior, I was left asking where was the rest of it? Of course she was stunning with bright red lips and a simple pulled back hairdo, similar to Reese, she failed to captivate me with her tuxedo dress.


Lorelei Linklater
I don’t want to put the young star on blast, but her black dress with large bell sleeves from NYC Label Honor personally brought me back to the Salem Witch Trials. I am not sure I have words for this ensemble, other then it was atrocious.

No comments:

Post a Comment