Saturday, January 3, 2015

Arm Knitting, My New All Purpose Skill


Winter break is quickly coming to a close and fellow educators, including myself, are bracing themselves for cold temperatures and eager children returning to classrooms. It has been a peaceful break full of movies, food, family, and friends. It was a much needed rejuvenation period and it will be nice to see students again on Monday, if weather permits. The one thing I will be most excited to share with my students is my new found love of arm knitting.
Over break I decided to make my movie watching experiences more productive by learning how to arm knit. A good friend of mine came over one day before I traversed back to Minnesota and had one of the cutest infinity scarfs! I asked her where she got it and she said she arm knitted it. I looked at her rather confused, knowing she was quite the avid knitter, and asked how exactly one arm knits? She laughed and said it was quite easy and can be found online.
So I embarked on the journey of arm knitting while enjoyingYou’ve Got Mail before they removed it from Netflix (how rude). Thanks to Handimania, I am now a professional arm knitter and can take to yarn with fluid ease. They share on their webpage a very detailed video on how to knit an infinity scarf in 30 minutes. It took me a bit longer than thirty minutes because it was my first time, and being honest, I had to take it a part and start over, which almost deterred me. Luckily the plethora of movies in my Netflix cue kept me rather positive about the experience.


I find the skill to be practical and feel it could really be useful during holiday times for inexpensive and fun gifts for friends. It is also a nice way to pass time, rather therapeutic. It could be the monotonous motion of knitting, but it really is an enjoyable activity to pursue while watching television or even talking with family after dinner.

My newest addition of a black scarf for the winter months is thrilling and I am really happy to say I did it myself. I highly recommend checking out Handimania for their explanation on arm knitting because the tutorial was clear and concise and after watching a few times I felt like I could continue on my own without the video. Arm knit away my friends!


No comments:

Post a Comment