Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Redmayne Is A Talent To Be Reckoned With!

“The British are coming, The British are coming!” And I mean that in the best way possible.
If you were unaware of who Eddie Redmayne was last year, you are certainly aware of the Golden Globe winning actor now. Redmayne has splashed onto the Hollywood film scene with his brilliant portrayal of Stephen Hawking in The Theory of Everything and has graced us with a talent that is vivacious and astounding. Even though a London native and a Brit at heart, I hope Redmayne is ready to grace Hollywood with his presence a bit more frequently in the future.


Redmayne’s performance in The Theory of Everything is nothing short of astonishing. He embodies Stephen Hawking on screen and for two hours we are swept into this turbulent, yet remarkable love story of two very strong willed people. I have seen the film three times and each time I appreciate the performances from all of the actors more and more. But, it is Redmayne’s physical performance of this debilitating Motor Neuron Disease, combined with overwhelming emotion that sweeps me off my feet. He portrays Hawking’s tenacity and passion for physics and family with what almost seems like ease. The British star himself is found stating in several interviews that though it was an extreme honor to get the role, he was incredibly grateful for all of the people he had the opportunity to work with and the amount of time he was given to prepare. Well, the rest of the world is also glad he got the part, because he hit a grand slam.
But it isn’t Redmayne’s performance in Theory that should be getting all of the attention. This British actor has had a stunning career so far, partaking in films like Les Miserables (2012) and My Week With Marilyn (2011). He has acted alongside greats like Judi Dench, Michelle Williams, Hugh Jackman, Julianne Moore, Robert De Niro and Matt Damon. And despite his incredible singing voice and awe-inspiring acting chops, he hasn’t achieved star status of this proportion yet. Could we deem it unfair? Maybe. But Redmayne doesn’t seem to mind, which makes him all the more impressive. In interviews he comes off a bit nervous, but incredibly endearing and exceptionally poised. He never fails to acknowledge the crazy amount of support he gets from loved ones and the fact that it truly is about the “collaboration” on set. He is a true talent.


Though my love for the actor has only come about recently, I have a lot of respect for this man that I have never met. Of course, if I do ever have the opportunity to meet him I would love for it to be in a London pub, over a pint or two, discussing art and theatre, and without a doubt, beer. He is charming, intelligent, and sincere, and that truly comes across in all of his roles. I was first introduced to his tremendous talent in The Yellow Handkerchief (2008), where Redmayne acted beside Kristen Stewart and William Hurt. I stumbled upon the movie on Netflix during an indie film binge over finals week and instantly was intrigued by the several different performances I was taking in on my computer screen. I ended up loving the complicatedness of the film so much that I wrote a final paper for one of my communications classes on it. Redmayne plays the dorky, socially-awkward Gordy, who is on a road trip across rural Louisiana, and is desperately seeking company and acceptance. He delivers an honest performance, full of missed social cues and unnatural outbursts. If you have not checked it out, I recommend it solely for the candid performances given by Hurt, Stewart and Redmayne.
The thing about Redmayne that captivates myself, and hopefully audiences everywhere, is the sheer diversity in the roles he has under his belt. From the charming, yet misguided Colin Clark, to the brilliant Stephen Hawking, to his upcoming role as Balem Abrasax in the space opera, Jupiter Ascending, Redmayne is always up for a challenge. And that is what makes him someone actors should be on the look out for. Redmayne truly gives his all in every performance. And though his portrayal of Hawking should be example enough, I want to commend his performance in the two-part BBC mini-series Birdsong (2012), which I feel is highly under-appreciated. Playing the lovesick and war-torn Stephen Wraysford, Redmayne acts his heart out, and with so few words exchanged, makes the film come to life.


Of course, Redmayne’s splash onto the Hollywood scene comes on a wave of British talent, including Benedict Cumberbatch (The Imitation Game) and Rosamund Pike (Gone Girl). It is almost like a second British Invasion, which I feel we in America don’t mind. I am instantly bewitched by the British’s effervescent personalities and charming demeanor. And, needless to say, they have a sense of style American’s sometimes seem to lack (Redmayne was named GQ’s best dressed of 2015), which isn’t hard on the eyes. But it has less to do with fashion and more to do with enormous talent and supreme performances. Redmayne has proven that he is worthy of many accolades and I hope he continues to put the same feverish love into all of his future performances. 

No comments:

Post a Comment