Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Crispy, Saucy, Served with a Kick: Runyon’s is Crowning Jewel of Wings in the Midwest


A family tradition, no matter rain, snow or shine, my family and I pile into the car and trek through downtown Minneapolis to enjoy some of the best wings known to humanity. Okay, not Anchor Bar in Buffalo, New York amazing, but probably second in command to the motherland of buffalo wings. Runyon’s, a Minneapolis staple, is home to these deliciously satisfying wings, and I have zero complaints.
My family and myself are quite the wing connoisseurs. Whether grilled, fried, or baked, we have had are fair share of buffalo wings and usually the hotter the better. Runyon’s wings are made fresh to order and come in three sizes: regular, double, or party. They have their regular sauce or nuclear. My family find it safe to go with a double order; twenty delectable wings (split ten regular, ten nuclear) that will change your life forever. They are crispy on the outside, fried without batter, and served with the most supreme house made bleu cheese that could graze one’s lips. Full of potent bleu cheese crumbles, their dressing will have you taking your finger and wiping the remnants out of the small plastic container.


Of course, we come for the rockstar wings and the phenomenal bleu cheese, but let us not forget their great rotating taps, including a shout out to many local Milwaukee breweries, like Lakefront. Wings and beer might as well be brothers, because they belong in the same family when it comes to eating pub food. Nothing like sitting down with a piping hot plate of mouthwatering wings, and washing them down with a nice Fixed Gear, or if you are a Minnesota local, a Surly brew.
The atmosphere is quiet, yet unique. It has this fascinating feel of a dive bar mixed with a college hang out, which fits due to the up and coming nature of downtown Minneapolis and its relative nearness to the University of Minnesota campus. College students are sure to stumble in after a Twins game, Gophers game, or dare I say it, Timberwolves game. It is a great place to hang out, watch a game, grab a beer and some wings with a few buddies. Though I frequently go with my family, I would highly recommend checking it out with some friends on a game night. It is never too crowded and you have your choice of bar seating, high tables or booths. The relaxed setting makes it the perfect venue for a chill night out in my beloved and beautiful city.


I am glad my family made time for an outing to this notable local spot, because there is nothing else like it in the midwest if you ask me. It is like having my own personal Anchor Bar in the heart of the frozen tundra, where we embrace frigid temperatures, and never have to deal with things like the “Buffalo Door.” 
So, once again, I am telling you to make time for this gem of a city and all it has to offer. If you don’t come for all the great winter activities, at least come for wings that explode with so much flavor that it is almost like experiencing Tchaikovsky’s “Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies” on your tongue. Don’t believe me? Come and try it yourself.

Runyon’s is located at 107 North Washington Avenue, Minneapolis, MN 55401.

No comments:

Post a Comment